I don’t know what it is about pastel colors but all this talk about Easter has made me really want to make a quiche!
So I did…
Springtime Quiche (makes 2 full pies):
2 crusts (they usually come in packs of 2, and I used Whole Foods’ whole wheat version)
4 GIGANTIC vidalia onions, diced (Or 6 bags of frozen chopped onions… yes 6! they cook down to about 1/4 of their size. Trust me. I only used 2 huge onions and that delicious sweet onion flavor was kinda weak!)
3 oz smoked salmon
about 1/4 cup heavy cream
Dill for garnishing
about 1.5 cups of shredded cheese (I used one of those Italian blend ones with mozzarella, asiago, parmesan.)
***Pay attention to cook temps! It changes halfway thru the cooking process!***
1. Preheat oven to 375*
2. Chop onions and toss into a pot over medium heat with a bit of olive oil (just a couple turns of the bottle around the pan). Stir frequently and cook until sweet and caramelized, which is about 50 mins – this is the longest part of it!
3. In a separate medium sized bowl, stir the eggs like you’re scrambling them and mix ’em with the cream and spices of choice (I used salt, pepper, & dried basil).
4. Back to the onions! Once they’re done, spread them evenly between the pie crusts. They will look pretty full – that’s good!
5. To finish up, pour the egg/cream mixture over each crust so it’s evenly distributed. Top the egg mixture with salmon. Sprinkle
heavily with cheese. Sprinkle the dill on top to taste.
6. Cook on 375* for 15 mins, then reduce the heat to 350* and cook for another 25 mins.
7. Dig in! 🙂
We definitely had our share of eggs yesterday which we also ate for breakfast… Also, bacon may or may not have been involved. Here’s a hint: it definitely was.
Discuss! I love breakfast more than any meal. What’s your go-to favorite dish?